Unless you change its default settings, your Web browser automatically stores selected pieces of information about every website you visit. In addition to logging the time and date of each page view, it also notes the title and URL of every page it opens. The browser also automatically accepts cookies and tries to speed up the browsing process by temporarily storing downloaded Web page files on your computer. If you want to protect your privacy and clear this data from your browser, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome each allow you to do so with only a few clicks.
Note: this will also require logging on again to any websites where you have checked a "remember me" option. If you wish to just clear browsing history, do not select any option which includes "delete cookies".
- Open an Internet Explorer browser window.
- Click the "Safety" button located near the top-right corner of the window and select "Delete Browsing History" OR click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the window and select "Internet Options" and on the General tab, under Browsing History, click Delete.
- Check the boxes labeled "Temporary Internet Files," "Cookies," "History" and "Form Data."
- Click "Delete" to confirm your choices. Internet Explorer clears the information within a few seconds.
- Open a Chrome browser window.
- Click the menu icon (three lines) near the top-right corner of the window, select "History and recent tabs" and then click "History", OR enter CTRL+H.
- Click "Clear browsing data".
- Click the drop-down menu at the top of the resulting dialog box and select "The beginning of time."
- Check the boxes labeled "Clear browsing history," "Clear download history," "Empty the cache" and "Delete cookies and other site data."
- Click "Clear browsing data." Chrome clears the information within a few seconds.
- Open a Firefox browser window.
- Click the menu icon (three lines) near the top-right corner of the window and select "History," followed by "Clear Recent History."
- Click the "Time range to clear" drop-down menu at the top of the resulting dialog box and select "Everything."
- Click the arrow next to "Details" to bring up the options box and then check the boxes labeled "Browsing & Download History," "Form & Search History," "Cookies" and "Cache."
- Click "Clear Now." Firefox clears the information within a few seconds.